Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Los Poblanos

Today, I went to Albuquerque to see my friend, Penny, whom I have not seen in many years.
She walked into Curiosa last week and apparently fell in love with my little papier mache boxes and took one home. She sent me a letter inviting me to come see her. Today was the day.......

I realize that I was not quite together enough to take photos from the moment I got out of the car, which is too bad. I picked up my camera when we walked through the Cultural Center. I must say that these little metal figures on the lock plates delighted me - simple joy!

In the same room, the door, below, was carved by the artist Gustave Baumann, one of the most gifted designers I know of. If you do not know his work, I suppose you could google him and see some examples. He is very well known in New Mexico for his extraordinary colorful etchings and his hand-carved wooden marionettes. I did not know that he carved doors, as well, though it does not surprise me. The quality of the detail on the door is exquisite.

This is the floor in the room with the door and metal lock plates - isn't it spectacular?

This property is the former Creamland Dairy in Albuquerque, New Mexico - 25 acres of farmland and gardens, a pond and huge, lush cottonwood trees, not to mention the historical buildings throughout. I was so excited to be walking through this incredible oasis, seeing all the work they are doing. After years of thinking about and following their dreams, Penny and her family are adding 14 rooms to the existing 7 room Los Poblanos Inn and Cultural Center.
 (  www.lospoblanos.com  )       

The new buildings are designed and being built in much the same way as the existing ones, so they will all compliment one another when finished. The attention to every, small detail makes such a difference and the result will be beautiful, I am sure.

I felt so lucky to be walking around, getting a private tour with Penny - meeting all of the incredible people that make the whole place hum. So many incredible things going on there.

This is just one tiny view of one little part of one of the gardens (!) The roses are so fragrant that as you walk through, the scent follows you and it can be intoxicating (just like the blooming Russian Olives and the Spanish Broom- wow!)

Until today, I had never seen a white peacock. Unfortunately this photo does not do it justice.

This guy was standing on the other side of the same rose bush - aren't peacocks the most magical birds? As we walked away, they called to us...

The Farm Shop is wonderful! First of all, the building is great! (I could live there) Tall ceilings and wonderful windows....and shelves filled with fantastic things.
This wall of shelves is filled with local products that are outstanding. Deborah Madison's cookbooks, which are "delicious"- as well as Heidi's Raspberry Jams, which are our favorite here at the Hallmark house.
This wall houses products made from lavender from the farm - scented water to spray into the air, lavender oil, lavender honey..... fantastic selection.
They have an outstanding Lavender Festival the end of June....open to the public.
How 'bout this guy? Christina is the Animal Lady. I met her today, along with this lovely goat and several others. Christina makes feta cheese from their milk and is getting ready to try a mozzarella recipe that promises to be wonderful. I can't wait to taste it.

Hard to see, but the goats and chickens were relaxing in the shade while we were talking.


This is one of my favorite buildings - the green house. 

And lunch - wow.......heirloom tomatoes and chicken salad with watermelon radishes that had just come from the garden. It was so delicious...and fresh berry pie for dessert. 

There are workshops going on all the time and I think that it would be such a treat to stay at the Inn. It is incredible that dreams really can and DO come true. The fact that they are preserving all of the historical details of the property and making it even more special with their thoughtful additions, gives me goosebumps.

Today was a glorious day and I can hardly wait to go back for another visit - and share it with all the people I know who will sooo appreciate it. 

1 comment:

  1. Jone this place looks AMAZING!!!!!! I think we need to drive to Albuquerque on an errand and totally get lost and end up having to spend the night at the B&B, eat a few meals there, shop in the farm store and take a complete guided, historical tour of the place!!!!! I may never leave! We need to plan our next year's June life around attending the lavender festival!!!!! LOVE- Oolie

    ReplyDelete